that's an absurdly-inflated fee. i can walk into mgh, which is arguably the best hospital in the world and get a non-subsidized test for half that. the ama sets maximum fees(blood drawing-2.xx dollars, etc.) for that stuff and if i include every possible option aim's not blatantly crooked but they've got some seriously questionable overhead. taking a quick survey of local testing facilities, aim charges about $30-40 more for the aids test and seems about on par with the other screenings. they charge about the most anyone can, but from what i gather wouldn't exactly rank too highly in discretion, qualifications of staff members, lab facilities or expediency of confidential results. sharon's essentially doing a positive thing in a scummy industry, but the costs and turnaround times at aim are a disaster. she's kept a good idea alive and probably saved several lives, but i'd rather let harvard md's handle my test for half the money over the supposedly shattered doctor they've got.

btw, that test you mentioned is different and totally irrelevant to what they offer. you can also get the same thing for about 40-60 bucks, and the materials for hiv testing for about three dollars and under two in bulk.

Martin Amis "honoring" katie price with a character bearing some of her traits